Thursday, December 19, 2013

Borodin and Tchaikovsky by Mitropoulos

Cover design by Karl Kezer
Dimitri Mitropoulos, like his Minneapolis predecessor Eugene Ormandy, never disappoints in performances of Russian music.  (My first exposure to Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony, almost 40 years ago, was through a blazing Mitropoulos reading on a Columbia 78 set - and oh, how I wish I still had it!)  Here is an LP coupling two Russian masterpieces.  The Borodin Second Symphony was a specialty of Mitropoulos, but the CD reissue companies invariably have tapped his 1941 Minneapolis performance for release, never this New York version which, I believe, deserves attention as well.  The Tchaikovsky First Suite is a rarity as well, and this is only the second recording of it (after Walter Goehr's for Concert Hall, which can be heard here).  Unfortunately the third movement (Intermezzo) is omitted, presumably in the interest of getting the Suite on one side.  What remains is delightful, particularly its final galumphing Gavotte which surely influenced Prokofiev when he came to write his own Gavotte for his "Classical Symphony."

Borodin: Symphony No. 2 in B Minor
Recorded November 2, 1953
and
Tchaikovsky: Suite No. 1 in D Minor, Op. 43
Recorded October 18 and November 17, 1954
Philharmonic-Symphony Orchestra of New York
conducted by Dimitri Mitropoulos
Columbia Masterworks ML-4966, one LP record
Link (FLAC files, 152.15 MB)
Link (MP3 files, 94.15 MB)

4 comments:

  1. Many thanks, Bryan. I really appreciate all the Mitropoulos recordings you've posted & hope there will be more in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bryan - your comments above:
    My first exposure to Tchaikovsky's Fourth Symphony, almost 40 years ago, was through a blazing Mitropoulos reading on a Columbia 78 set - and oh, how I wish I still had it!)

    Well, here is my transfer of the LP issue of it - sounding (to my ears) very good if a bit bright on the treble at times:

    http://www.mediafire.com/?p0py7rr5xgnuona

    Thank you for all your work and your excellent blog site. I check it out weekly to see what new goodies you have posted. Happy Holidays my friend.

    - Bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, Bill! Am listening now even as I write, and it sounds much as I remember. (Minus, of course, the surface noise and side breaks!) Happy holidays to you too, and best wishes for a record-full 2014!

      Delete
  3. Muchas gracias por este maravilloso archivo, saludos.

    ReplyDelete